- Activities: Hiking, food and cultural experiences.
- Start point: Bologna, Italy.
- End point: Florence or Bologna, Italy (you choose).
- Trip duration: 10 days/9 nights.
- Trip dates: Private trips can be scheduled on request. Open trips are scheduled each April/May/June. The next open trip with places available is 18-27 April 2026.
- Regular price, 2024 season: NZ$5385 per person twin-share. For single rooms throughout add NZ$825. Currency converter.
- 'Trips for Six' price: Price on application.
- Included: 9 nights accommodation (private rooms with en-suite bathrooms); 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 5 dinners; all vehicle travel; round-trip Elba Island ferry travel, Cinque Terre National Park trail-passes, experienced guides throughout; advice and assistance for travel in Italy before and after the tour.
- Activity level: As a general guideline trip members should be comfortable hiking at least 8-10 kms/5-7 miles/3-4 hours each day on trails that are sometimes uneven and uphill/downhill. The guides will help with luggage wherever possible, but guests should be able to get their own luggage to/from their accommodation, which can sometimes be a walk of up to 5 minutes, including flights of stairs.
- Group size: 8-16 people.
Parma, Cinque Terre, Tuscany & Elba Island
Land of contrastsEnquire now
This ten-day Walk like an Italian journey links five neighboring areas, each with its own unique character and charm.
The itinerary takes us through a variety of contrasting landscapes including:
- the elegant parks, piazzas and palazzi (palaces) of Parma;
- the rugged coastal trails and little towns of Cinque Terre National Park;
- the marble mountains and secluded villages of the Alpi Apuane range;
- the cultivated countryside around hill-top Volterra, Tuscany;
- the peaceful villages and mountains of Elba Island.
As the landscape changes, so does the cuisine. Each place we visit has its own culinary style reflecting its climate and terrain, and as the food changes so does the wine. Your guides will help you discover the local specialties, and introduce you to favourite wine-bars and eateries along the way. In this way the hikes are complemented by the meals, and the meals are complemented by the wines. It all adds up to a rich, sensory experience of Italy’s landscape and culture.
The distances between each place are remarkably short. The itinerary has been carefully designed to minimize travel-time while maximizing the experience of Italy’s regional diversity. Each day there are short and long hikes to choose from. While you walk you need only carry a light day-pack.
More about the accommodation:
The first night of the tour is a taste of life in one of Italy’s most beautiful cities, Parma - home to historic buildings, precious art, excellent cuisine and stylish citizens. Our accommodation here is a 4-star hotel in Parma's historic city centre.
For nights 2 & 3 the group will be accommodated in a small, family-run hotel in Corniglia, the quietest of Cinque Terre National Park’s famous five villages.
Pietrasanta is an old town with a rich artistic heritage situated at the foot of the Apuan Alps, north Tuscany. For nights 4 & 5 we’ll stay in stylish apartments in the town's historic, car-free centre.
Our accommodation for nights 6 & 7 is a boutique 4-star hotel in Volterra, a hilltop town in central Tuscany surrounded by defensive walls, with a history stretching back beyond the Roman era.
For the last two nights of the tour we’ll stay in a lovely 4-star hotel in the laid-back seaside town of Marciana Marina, Elba Island.
'Trips for Six'
Discounts for groups
Get a group of six or more together and reduce everyone’s price.
How it works: Instead of the regular per person price, we’ll give you a special per group price.
As the group's coordinator its up to you to decide how to split the 'Trips for Six' price. You might:
- surprise your friends and family by paying for everyone.
- divide the amount equally among all participants.
- get the rest of the group to share the cost so you travel for free.
Who is it for? Extended families, groups of friends, hiking & kayaking clubs, corporate groups, etc.
'Trips for Six' discounts are available only for bookings made directly with
Tamarillo Active Travel. Contact us to learn more.