- Activities: Hiking, food and cultural experiences.
- Start/end point: Bologna, Italy.
- Trip duration: 10 days/9 nights.
- Trip dates: Trips are scheduled each April/May/June. The next available trip is 2-11 May 2025. Private trips for groups can be scheduled on request.
- Regular price: NZ$4250 per person twin-share. For single rooms throughout add NZ$585. (Prices to be reconfirmed in May 2024). Currency converter.
- 'Trips for Six' price: price on application.
- Included: 9 nights accommodation (private rooms with en-suite bathrooms); 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners; all vehicle travel; round-trip Elba Island ferry travel, Cinque Terre National Park trail-passes, experienced guides throughout; advice and assistance for travel in Italy before and after the tour.
- Activity level: As a general guideline trip members should be comfortable hiking at least 8-10 kms/5-7 miles/3-4 hours each day on trails that are sometimes uneven and uphill/downhill. The guides will help with luggage wherever possible, but guests should be able to get their own luggage to/from their accommodation, which can sometimes be a walk of up to 5 minutes, including flights of stairs.
- Group size: 8-16 people.
Parma, Cinque Terre, Tuscany & Elba Island
Land of contrastsEnquire now
This ten-day Walk like an Italian journey links five neighboring areas, each with its own unique character and charm.
The itinerary takes us through a variety of contrasting landscapes including:
- the elegant parks, piazzas and palaces of Parma;
- the rugged coastal trails and little towns of Cinque Terre National Park;
- the marble mountains and ancient villages of the Alpi Apuane mountain range;
- the cultivated countryside around the hill-top town of Volterra, Tuscany;
- the picturesque villages and mountain trails of Elba Island.
As the landscape changes, so does the cuisine. Each place we visit has its own culinary style based on its climate and geography. As the food changes so does the wine. Your guides will help you discover the local specialties, and introduce you to favourite wine-bars and eateries along the way. In this way the hikes are complemented by the meals, and the meals are complemented by the wines. It all adds up to a rich, sensory experience of Italy’s landscape and culture.
The distances between each stop on the trip is remarkably short. The itinerary has been carefully designed to minimize the travel-time while maximizing the experience of Italy’s regional diversity. Each day there are short and long hikes to choose from. While you walk you need only carry a light day-pack.
More about the accommodation:
The first night of the tour is a taste of life in one of Italy’s most beautiful cities, Parma - home to historic buildings, precious art, excellent cuisine and incredibly-stylish citizens. Our accommodation here is a 4-star hotel in Parma's historic city-center.
For nights 2 & 3 the group will be accommodated in vacation apartments scattered throughout Corniglia, the smallest of Cinque Terre National Park’s famous five villages.
High in the Apuan Alps of north Tuscany lies the village of Pruno (population: 75), our home for nights 4 & 5. Here we’ll stay in vacation apartments, most of them owned by local families currently living elsewhere in Italy.
Our accommodation for nights 6 & 7 is a small 3-star hotel in the heart of Volterra, a hilltop town in Tuscany.
For the last two nights of the tour we’ll stay in another small 3-star hotel in the seaside town of Marciana Marina, Elba Island.
'Trips for Six'
Discounts for groups
Get a group of six or more together and reduce everyone’s price.
How it works: Instead of the regular per person price, we’ll give you a special per group price.
As the group's coordinator its up to you to decide how to split the 'Trips for Six' price. You might:
- surprise your friends and family by paying for everyone.
- divide the amount equally among all participants.
- get the rest of the group to share the cost so you travel for free.
Who is it for? Extended families, groups of friends, hiking & kayaking clubs, corporate groups, etc.
'Trips for Six' discounts are available only for bookings made directly with
Tamarillo Active Travel. Contact us to learn more.